Thursday, February 26, 2009

I'm still alive!

GWABHGJJJHAKFNERMFLT!
Sorry, that was merely a personal scream of rage at the fact that I haven't posted in two months. And I thought I'd update this regularly :D
Well, anyway, quite a lot has happened in the last two months. We finally got the books back from Jake, and most unfortunately, the resolution was TERRIBLE. The cover and title page looked excellent, but everything else was all grainy, and fuzzy, and crap. Even though it was all scanned at 300 DPI, this happened anyway. I don't understand. Well, this time I asked Jake if I could design the layout of the book, and he said yes. I'm going to do my best to make sure something like this doesn't happen again!
Secondly, I started my project for the next book, a short comic story unlike most other things I've created so far. Let's hope it turns out well. Also, my friend Blane, my annoyingly talented little brother and I have begun work on a collaborative graphic novel. We're still in the planning stages, and hopefully this will turn out. I said I wasn't going to work on any big projects for a while, but the work will be split up and we're taking as much time as we need on it, so we should be fine.
Thirdly, my art teacher selected me as one of a mere 15 artists at the high school to be a delegate for the 2009 NWOC Art Show, where the most artistic students from about ten high schools in the area put their art on display, talk with other artists, take classes from the professionals, and exchange work. It sounds awesome, and it's also awesome that I was selected! Essentially it means I'm considered by the faculty to be more artistic than 98% of the student body, and I'm honored by the fact.
Finally, Jake generously lent me one of his graphics tablets--I've been wanting to get my hands on one for years. I finally have, and I've found they're harder to work with than a pen and paper. I've been practicing though, and my skill has much improved from the senseless doodles of last week. Here is the first sketch I did on the thing that wasn't a big wad of suck. I did it in Manga Studio, an extremely badass program also supplied by the ever-helpful Jake Richmond. It's still not as good as my pen-and-paper drawing, but I'm getting better.
Anyway, let's hope to see more frequent updates in the future! I always get pissed when other people don't update their blogs, and there's no reason to be a hypocrite!

3 comments:

Circleii said...

Nice~ I envy you for NWOC thing :] I was kinda left out when that happened last year...

let me know if you have instant messenger :]

we can actually draw collaboratively online through open canvas.

Davie said...

That's awesome! I'll see if I can download it. I don't have IM at the moment, but I can get it.

Circleii said...

kk let me know as soon as you get MSN account :]